Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Still can't think of a good title

DDP Ch. 6:

I feel like this chapter was a review for me because I’ve been going over the scanning and printing process’ in my advanced typography class for the past two weeks now. But alas, Baron makes good outlines and points out different methods we can use for our work.

It’s important to use a scanner for 2D work, photography, etc. so that you are able to effectively showcase your work in a sharp and clean matter on the computer. I suggest using scanners at Kinkos or Staples because you know they are of good quality and you’ll get dynamic results. Another way you can capture your work is by using a camera. I sued my digi-cam to take pictures of paintings I did on oversized canvases because they are 3-Dimensional, (thank you for reminding me of that Baron—“Digital art is flat; 3D art isn’t’”). But yes, if you have a camera it is very handy in presenting your work. And once you have it on the computer you can bring it into photoshop and create a suitable background or dropshadows around the work. Another method is digitizing (I didn’t even know this was a word). I don’t think I need to worry about digitizing because I don’t have any work on slides or VHS tapes.

BDP pg0-40:

I just tried to open the book on my desk, completely forgetting about the magnetic side... haha, I’m probably the only person that has done that… ANYway, this book is beautiful and refreshing. The beginning of Part I talks about making your portfolio and how it can be created in book format. Sara Eisenman explains that, “book presentations tend to make designers seem more like artists and less like standard problem solvers looking to join a design staff”. I like this quote because I’m an art minor and would like to call myself an artist and a graphic designer in the years to come.

All the different book designs she shows us are great examples of creative and flexible ways to present your portfolio. I would love to create a book for my portfolio but it seems so daunting and difficult. I also liked all the different portfolio cases she showed; it’s definitely a tailored way to present your work.

No comments: