Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Focus, Focus, Focus

DDP Ch 3:

This weeks chapter in Designing a Digital Portfolio focused on Audience and how to make your portfolio represent you, but also work with the type of job you are applying for. For example, I know that I want to include print and web design in my portfolio and that’s the direction I’ll go when looking for a job. I think by focusing on putting the things that you are best at in your portfolio, that in the end it will work out and be most effective and also, most importantly, something that interests you. Of course you want to include items in your portfolio that you enjoy creating (ahem.. sorry Maya work, you and I just never really got along…)

Once you know what type of design you’re focusing on, it’s time to research a job. Oh researching, I hate it.. and probably because I’m just not good at it. Baron sums up the way I feel about research stating, “Half of the battle in making your way through research is knowing where to look for answers”. So I guess I’m just not that good at looking for answers, but I’m hoping there’s time for improvement on that. Baron also talks about design associations that you can take advantage of and join. She gives an example of IDSA (Industrial Designers Society of America) in Boston. I searched for an IDSA NYC and low and behold there is one! (as well as one for AIGA too). I should check up on the events they are having once the summer comes around since I’ll be close to the city permanently :) :(

HBG Ch's 5&6:

Last week was about setting up a studio and tah dah, this week’s chapter talks about running your own studio. Running your own studio is a lot of hard work and requires a lot of long days/nights. You most certainly will need to hire a creative staff; aka people who have better design skills than you. It makes sense to hire people with a lot of talent because in the end your company will grow and become more successful. I’ll end this chapter review with an uplifting quote from Shaughnessy—“Always remember that you are in one of the richest talent pools in the modern world”.

“Winning New YORK?!! YESSS!!”
I was so excited when I read the title of chapter 6.. but then about 5 minutes later my excitement turned into disappointment when I realized that it said “Winning New WORK” and thus I got a little upset about my misunderstanding. But finding new work is important… and a great deal of business opportunities for designers is word of mouth or random encounters. Shaughnessy explains that you get the majority of work from people through networking with friends and business associates. It’s all about the networking and making connections wherever possible.

No comments: